KISS needs a roadie -- and wants to hire a veteran

Mario Anzuoni / Reuters file

KISS, who will tour with Motley Crue this summer, has pledged to hire a veteran to work as a roadie.

KISS needs a roadie — and they want to hire a veteran to help out.

The band, who are touring with Motley Crue this summer, have been long-time supporters of the U.S. military, donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Wounded Warrior Project. Watch their troop salute here

They're participating in Hiring our Heroes to give a job to a touring set carpenter who will travel with the band from July 14 through Sept. 25.

The lucky veteran who gets the gig will be part of the team that assembles the KISS stage set, helps run effects during the show and takes down the set afterwards. Applicants do not need to be a trained carpenter, but will work long hours.

To apply for this job, send an email to hiringourheroes@uschamber.com with your resume and contact details.

More from Hiring our Heroes:
Young veterans share their skills, dreams
Capital One, Comcast pledge to hire vets
Comcast and NBC Universal will hire 1,000 veterans
Hiring our Heroes 'unlocks the potential' of vets
Jill Biden: Veterans will 'get the job done'
Bloomberg: NYC is committed to hiring veterans

For more on Hiring our Heroes, an initiative from NBC News and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that aims to get veterans back into the workforce, click here. Learn more about job fairs for veterans here.

People.com

Discuss this post

Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 4

Good for them. I'm not a fan of the band, but it's good.

• 23 votes
Reply#1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 AM EDT

They support the military, they donated thousands to programs to help vets, how many other rock or hip hoppers can say the same?

• 30 votes
#1.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:22 AM EDT

OMG that is tooooo cool. KISS is a great band that does alot for the "community!" I absolutely love them, and wish more bands would do as they have!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK KISS!!!!!! WE LOVE YOOUUUU!!

• 11 votes
#1.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 AM EDT

The potential additional of just one military veteran to their staff has dramatically and immediately helped increase the overall effort of getting more veterans employed! Thanks for the national attention and kudos gentleman. You are a perfect example of being great while also doing great things!

• 18 votes
#1.3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 AM EDT

I understand where you are coming from. I didn't used to like their music as much as I did Def Lepard and AC DC. But one day I and the company of Navy recruits that I had trained in Basic training were offered Free Tickets to their show in Dan Diego, Ca. after They (my trainees) had graduated at the top of the Command list. I went and totally enjoyed the show. My children liked them too.

• 3 votes
#1.4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 PM EDT

The article doesn't say; I wonder how much the roadie will be paid.

• 1 vote
#1.5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 PM EDT

Probably a never-ending river of blondes, brunettes and red-heads.

Hell, I'd do it for free!

• 5 votes
#1.6 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 PM EDT

I've always liked KISS now I like them even more.

Rock and roll

#1.7 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 PM EDT

THAT is just really darned cool of them. Not my choice rock music group, but maybe I should give them another listen.

As far as the pay for the roadie, I'm sure that the position(s) will be well compensated. KISS would not generate this position to suddenly turn "cheap" when the rubber hits the pavement.

#1.8 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 PM EDT

MOST overrated band in history.

• 6 votes
#2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:18 AM EDT

Another new marketing gimmick for them.

#2.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 AM EDT

Actually most overrated would be REM.

• 19 votes
#2.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 AM EDT

Sapere... I agree 100%. I never understood anyone's attraction to REM. Can't stand their music. Also, the Red Hot Chili Peppers take the cake for the whiniest band. The singer just whines in every song.

• 6 votes
#2.3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 AM EDT

Yes, Deemo...it's all about marketing. I bet you're a conspiracy nut, aren't you?

This is very cool...and maybe they are a bit overrated, you can't help but have a good time. Isn't that what matters?

I would hate to be the one that has to go through all those resumes...lol.

• 6 votes
#2.4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 AM EDT

• 18 votes
#2.5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 AM EDT

Ummm no its NOT a new marketing gimic for them. KISS has supported the US military for almost ALL of the 49 years that they have been together. As for the most overrated band in history???? They have been playing & touring sold out shows around the world continiously for almost 50 years dude. You dont have to like em, & your welcome to your opinion, but I'd say millions of fans would disagree....

KISS ARMY since 1976!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 28 votes
#2.6 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 AM EDT

Kiss overrated? REM overrated? Chili Peppers overrated? Surely you jest! Kiss has never pretended to be great musicians..... they just give you simple but great hard rock riffs. Add the fact that their live shows are legendary and you've got a really great band. REM........ I LOVE early REM. They ushered in the alternative rock movement from the underground to the mainstream. Pretty big deal, don't you think? Sure....... once they went crazy political with the left wing drivel I lost interest, but you can't deny their influence on modern rock. And the Chili Peppers???................. only the best punk-influenced hard rock sound ever! These guys were so ahead of their time, to say they're overrated is blasphemy!

• 9 votes
#2.7 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 AM EDT

I agree, chili peckers SUCK!!!! ISH!!!

#2.8 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM EDT

What a bunch of bull s@%t, A group supports the troops that defend your freedom and this great country and all you can do is run them down. The only over rated loser's on this sight are the ones posting this crap. What a bunch of self centred hypocrites.

• 12 votes
#2.9 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 AM EDT

Kiss has never gotten credit for much of anything so I don't see how they're over-rated.

• 6 votes
#2.10 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 AM EDT

They have donated hundereds of thousands to Wounded Warriors Project. Gimmick? How much have you contributed to our veterans? How much time have you spent visiting a vet? How have you helped those willing to sacrifice to protect our country. Go back to the rock you crawled out from beneath.

• 7 votes
#2.11 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 PM EDT

I can see a FREE firework show every year on the 4th of July. I can see people in makeup every year on Halloween. And any band that claims that they're "The Greatest Band In The World" (1976 or otherwise)had better have a little more than crappy gimmicks and merchandising. You guys go ahead and spend 100 bux a ticket for the nosebleed seats.

#2.12 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:48 PM EDT

"MOST overrated band in history."

Me thinks U have them confused with A Flock of Seagulls.

#2.13 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:58 PM EDT

"Kiss overrated? REM overrated? Chili Peppers overrated?"

I'll take any of these if..................

...........we can just get rid of Lady Gimme-something-2-gag-on.

• 3 votes
#2.14 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:03 PM EDT

Personally, I do not like their music. I do respect the potential for training a young vet though. As to the post this is in reply to, how many other bands have done as much? One less vet, unemployed, after what they have been, and are going through, is very good, and benefits all of us. The only downside, it is a part-time job. From reading the article, it is "seasonal" work, and these people are going to need full time jobs.

Just wish more people would concern themselves with this issue. As far as Blue Panther20's comment about the job going through the resumes, I agree. That is going to be a very difficult task, I'm sure, especially when one considers the young veterans are the largest group of "unemployed" in the country, at present, and it's going to get worse as the military downsizes, again.

#2.15 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 PM EDT

Gene and Paul have produced and promoted more bands than many recording studios, giving otherwise obscure musicians the opportunity to live their dreams. They donate tons of money to veteran's causes, because it is the selfless sacrifices these brave men and women make that allow them to be the shameless self-promoters they are today. They themselves are oustanding musicians and peerless entertainers who started from humble beginnings and turned themselves into the embodiment of The American Dream---making the absolute most out of whatever gifts they were born with.

And you call them overrated? What the hell have you done for anyone other than yourself, Deemo?

• 5 votes
    #2.16 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 PM EDT

Lame attempt at free publicity for upcoming tour.

• 1 vote
    #2.17 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 PM EDT

Been a fan since I was a teenager, Best KISS song ever, Beth, then Detriot Rock City.

#2.18 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 PM EDT

dbk227

KISS ARMY since 1976!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KISS was founded in the early 70s, maybe you meant 39 years? They are probably the most overrated band in history. And, during the 80s they were not selling out and took their make up off as another marketing gimmick. Their music is overly simplistic, their lyrics are unoriginal, that is why they will never be in the Rock and Roll HOF, and they had to put their make up back on to hide their wrinkles. Other than that they are a great band.

• 1 vote
      #2.19 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 PM EDT

Agreed...most overrated band in history....or at least, very close to it. They are so full of themselves and have tried to compare their relevance to that of the Beatles. Seriously??? Douchebags.

• 1 vote
      #2.20 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:08 PM EDT

John Scott-299785

"Call them over rated if you want. But how many years have they been making money?"

And Simmons has never denied that is what it is all about either. That and the big ego stroke they get from the show. Saw them once in the late 70's and that was enough. They got my $8.00 (about what the ticket cost then). Don't own any of their music though, sorry Gene.

Nice gesture though. Can't fault them for that. The Crue should follow suit.

#2.21 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 PM EDT

Liked em' in the 70's but outside of nostalgia, watching 2 fat old guys trot around with their fat guts is pretty nauseating. At least the Stones didn't become old fat bastards. And without Ace and Peter they're like Journey without Steve Perry or the Beatles without John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

#2.22 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 PM EDT

Over rated? KISS has never had critics on their side; if anything they're underrated. And it's "The hottest band in the world" not "The greatest band in the world." KISS is all about marketing. To put down KISS for marketing that works is like putting down circles for being round. You might prefer squares, but that doesn't make circles bad. From a techincal standpoint, KISS isn't made up of the best musicians, singers and certainly not song writers, but KISS did one thing better than any band in the world: they cared about what their fans wanted. Horror stories abound about Guns N Roses dissing their fans on stage, Aerosmith being so stoned they can't play their instruments on stage, Smashing Pumpkins just plain sucking and a thousand other bands not delivering. The three bands I mentioned are probably "better" bands in every since of the word except giving their fans what they want. KISS was doing that in the 70s, and they're still doing it today.

#2.23 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 PM EDT

Very cool (even though I do agree, they are overrated as a band)

Reply#3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 AM EDT

nobody says you have to listin to them. go kiss

• 7 votes
            #3.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:49 AM EDT

They are one of the most influential bands in the history of recorded music. Thousands of bands and millions of individual musicians have been inspired by them. If you call them overrated, you must also consider The Beatles, AC/DC, Black Sabbath and The Rolling Stones to be overrated as well.

• 3 votes
            #3.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 PM EDT

I have never heard any band list KISS as an inspiration.

• 1 vote
            #3.3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 PM EDT

KISS is an aquired taste. You either get them or you don't. Thumbs up to KISS!

• 21 votes
            Reply#4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 AM EDT

I don't know why being a vet makes you more qualified to be hired than someone that is not a vet. I hired many people during my career and vets were no better than non vets. Before you go all flag waving on me I did four years in the military and trust me, not all members of the military are wonderful people.

Reply#5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:01 AM EDT

As you make evident....

• 11 votes
            #5.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 AM EDT

Wow...jonds is all Mr Sunshine!

Perhaps they are hiring veterans because these men and women have a hard time getting jobs once they get back home?

I do appreciate what you did for me when you were in the military, but you could be a bit more understanding about things. Not everyone is a lucky to have what you do. And yes, like in ALL jobs, there are those who aren't good people. Believe me, I've seen it in every job I have ever had. No matter who it is, there are those that just don't have a work ethic.

• 8 votes
            #5.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 AM EDT

wopie

#5.3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 AM EDT

Me thinks Mr Sunshine is jellis................

...........he tried 2 get the job but they tossed him out on his....err....attitude.

• 3 votes
              #5.4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 PM EDT

jonds was obviously an REMF while serving. I don't appreciate his service to our great country, since he seems to be ashamed of it. Screw him! His take on the service our veterans provide for our country is the same as Michelle Obama saying that the six months she worked in a law firm (the only period of time either she or her husband ever actually had a real job, BTW) was the worst six months she ever experienced in her life. Ignorance and arrogance truly walk hand in hand.

My brother serviced the reactors on Nimitz-class aircraft carriers for 16+ years. Now he can't find a job as a maintenance man.

• 3 votes
              #5.5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 PM EDT

This sounds like a "Token" hiring of "One" person to get the publicity. If they were serious, they would hire more then one. Maybe one carpenter, one electrician, one Explosive Ordinance Technician, etc.

Reply#6 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 AM EDT

Maybe they only need the one?

• 6 votes
              #6.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 AM EDT

They are selling out all their shows. They don't need this for publicity.

If you needed just one set carpenter, would you hire twenty people or people not relative to the position that needs filling?

If they were serious, they would hire for just the position need, as they did. If they were looking to lose money by hiring unneeded employees, they would listen to you.

• 6 votes
              #6.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:27 AM EDT

@nymike; Hire one, selling out all shows, another 50 million in the checking account!!!! KISS BLOWS! Greed.... I guess they were afraid to say how many roadies are vets? Ya think!!!

• 1 vote
              #6.3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 AM EDT

Perhaps they don't need any because the guys working for them have been there for years doing a great job. Maybe they just want to do their part to treat returning soldiers with the dignity and respect they deserve.

• 7 votes
              #6.4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 PM EDT

How many vets have you hired? If you have hired any, did you hire more than you actually needed? Go start your own band and hire as many vets as you want!

• 5 votes
              #6.5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 PM EDT

Guys working 4 them doing a great job for years? Maybe they hired 3 yearolds in 76 that makes them 39 no reason too hire now (vets or one) as all will retire at 62! than they could hire one more!!! THIS IS AN INSULT TOO ALL VETS. GREED.........

#6.6 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 PM EDT

?????

muddlerfly, you make less and less sense with each post.

Hiring a vet is an insult? How many vets have you "insulted" by giving them a job?

#6.7 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 PM EDT

I'm with 2nd Generation Citizen. Bands have crews that they travel with on all of their tours that know the stage set-ups, cues etc. To be able to set it all up and take it down in one day takes extreme efficiency and proficiency.

Notice they said no skill required? They'll be training the individual. I hate Kiss, but props to them. If they wanted to make this into some big thing, they'd do what every other asshat in the industry does: make it a reality show competition.

#6.8 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 PM EDT

@ neighbor, Key word "a vet" not enough $ for 2 maybe 3...... Stupid.

#6.9 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 PM EDT

They're doing this for publicity, but it's not for their own publicity, they've got the KISS Army, which, is probably only rivaled by the deadheads in loyalty for a rock group.

No, the publicity they're after is the fact that more of our vets, who worked so hard to defend our freedoms, deserve to get hired, and that, is a truly honorable cause.

You wanted the best, you got the best... KISS!!!

• 6 votes
                  #6.10 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 PM EDT

Testing 123 123, ssssssibilance.... sibilance, testing 1,2...... Well, someone had to say it! >:)

Reply#7 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 AM EDT

I could use a little more Cow Bell

#7.1 - Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 AM EDT

If some of you folks would take the time to read the whole story, this is not a publicity stunt as the band donates large amounts of money to the Wounded Warrior program. This is the first I am hearing of this. Why some of you feel the need to put a negative spin on everything I will never understand!

• 18 votes
                      Reply#8 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 AM EDT

The national exposure they've helped create to help fellow veterans hopefully gain employment (unemployment rate among veterans is upwards of 20%... especially younger veterans) is priceless which (no matter how you look at it) is the major goal! BTW a thread about Mother Theresa would probably garner negative comments from people with nothing better to do with their time!

• 9 votes
                      #8.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:00 PM EDT

Anyone seen a story from MSNBC about the black panthers offering a $10,000 reward for Zimmerman " dead or alive "?

• 3 votes
                      Reply#9 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 AM EDT

No and they are still running the pic of Trayvon when he was 13 years old.

Kudos to Kiss, I applaud them for hiring a vet and for their contributions to the Wounded Warrior Project!

• 6 votes
                      #9.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 AM EDT

What exactly does that have do with KISS hiring veterans?

• 1 vote
                      #9.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 PM EDT

I saw Kiss in 1978 with a little known band at the time called Judas Priest. They have managed to maintain their integrity for almost 40 years while still being one of the most successful, privately owned acts ever. This move does not surprise me. It's a great publicity stunt and it helps them give back. Moreso than ever being a rock band, they are a spectacle to be seen to truly understand them.

• 7 votes
                      Reply#10 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 AM EDT

I'm jealous! KISS AND Judas Priest? Two of my all-time favorite bands! I would've only been 10 years old in 1978, but still....

#10.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 PM EDT

I'm tired. Wow. Back to bed for me.

I thought the headline meant they were touring with their dogs.

Reply#11 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 AM EDT
                          IHATENIGSDeleted

Kiss isn't an aquired taste. One doesn't need to "get them". Yes, personal preference does definetly come into play, but they are not so deep and philosophical that one needs to "get them" to enjoy their music.

This is not a marketing gimmick either. They have been doing things like this forever. Most of the time, you don't hear about it.

While their music is shallow and mindless, ( albeit great for drunken sing alongs ) they have always had charities like this they worked on/with.

Kudos guys!

• 5 votes
                          Reply#13 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 AM EDT

nosferatu499026, it's not a marketing gimic. have you watched the troop salute KISS did on their last tour?

• 6 votes
                          Reply#14 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 AM EDT

It doesn't make you more qualified, but it's nice to have the support. While I think it's great that some companies/groups do this, I certainly don't think any less of the ones that don't. People need jobs vets or otherwise. My husband retired after 20 years. He only had a high school diploma and the skills he learned while in the military. So having to transition from military to a new job at almost 40 years old can be challenging. I'm not a big fan of the band, but what an awesome opportunity for someone who is!

• 3 votes
                          Reply#15 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 AM EDT

If it is not a pubilicity stunt, then why publisize it at all. They have kept quiet about giving to Wounded Warrior, but now when they are going to go on tour, they get this article about hiring a Veteran. And , yes, I served 8 years in the military.

• 1 vote
                          Reply#16 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 AM EDT

...and just exactly how are they supposed to let people know they have a job opening without publicizing it? I'd much rather hear about this than Lady Gaga's meat dress, Justin Bieber's hair or Madonna wanting to show Tim Tebow around NYC.

#16.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM EDT

I grew up in the 70's listening to Gene, Paul Ace & Peter & love 'em or not they're as American as apple pie so I'm not at all surprised, that given the chance, are doing what they can to show support for our weary, unemployed troops in such a fashion to garner as much national media attention as possible as that's the ONLY way things get done in this country anymore. However, as to using this as a media ploy to draw attention to their big upcoming tour... c'mon a little media attention never hurts but these guys could all afford to retire to some tropical island never to be heard from again if they desired... Ya really think they would NEED that kind of publicity to insure this tour is a hit? I'd bet better than half the venues are already sold out! Lol!

• 11 votes
                            Reply#17 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 AM EDT

"they're as American as apple pie"

Almost but not quite; Gene would have to give up his Israel citizenship.

#17.1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 PM EDT

It's called dual citizenship. I'm a dual citizen and have a US passport.

Plus, we were born in the same hospital, and that's just cool.

#17.2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:22 PM EDT

Thanks Kiss. I remember going into my sons room 10 years ago to find his friends transfixed on a Kiss video. These guys rock and have heart, I think its cool that fathers and sons can groove on the same band. xoxoxox kiss

• 7 votes
                              Reply#19 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 AM EDT

Way to go KISS.

• 8 votes
                              Reply#20 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 AM EDT

Good for them!A real american band.

• 8 votes
                              Reply#21 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 AM EDT

Not a fan, but I very much appreciate the fact that they are such ardent supporters of our military. Well done, guys.

• 7 votes
                              Reply#22 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 AM EDT

KISS is the most gimmick-laden band in rock history, yet to me, this story smacks of decency and integrity. Kudos to them for bringing attention to the fact that a LOT of highly-competent veterans have returned from active service, are without work and need gainful employment. KISS will hire one. Now ... will you...?

• 4 votes
                              Reply#23 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:33 AM EDT

Send my dad, he's bored, and he's a Vietnam Vet.

• 1 vote
                              Reply#24 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 AM EDT

Oohrah!

• 4 votes
                              Reply#25 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 AM EDT

For those b*tching about a marketing gimmick - has it occurred to you the marketing may be coming from Hiring Our Heroes and not the band? There have been multiple articles in the past few days about HOH and other vet-hiring programs, having a big name such as KISS to put on your roster brings a lot of publicity to the whole cause, not just the band and this one position that is being filled.

• 4 votes
                              Reply#26 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 AM EDT

all i can say is THANK YOU!!!! HOH and KISS

Reply#27 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 AM EDT
                              Jump to discussion page: 1 2 3 4
                              You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                              As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.