Ann Curry's photographs reveal courage, grit of America's soldiers

Ann Curry

You can tell just by looking into their faces that they have confronted their fears of death, sometimes again and again. Something in their expressions reveals courage, focus, love of country and I think the greatness one hopes is possible in all of us.

Ann Curry

Since America's wars began in Afghanistan and Iraq, I have taken photographs of those who volunteered.  And whether it was in a forward operating base in Helmand Province days before an expected spring offensive over the mountains from Pakistan, or at one of Saddam's palaces in Baghdad, or in an Apache helicopter flying over Iraq, the same thing most deeply impresses: GRIT.

Ann Curry

Ann Curry

Ann Curry

This is what made me press click on my camera. Isn't this the American grit we always hear about...the kind that links the Pilgrims to the Founding Fathers to soldiers throughout our history, including both Union and Confederate, and all the boys who dropped out of high school to fight on the beaches and in the sands and forests and jungles of World War II?

Ann Curry

This grit is the stuff of America's past and its future. Today, as our nation nears the end of its rope, after bearing for too long the hard knocks of wars, fears of terrorism and a struggling economy, perhaps the grit learned on the battlefield, is exactly what we need now at home.

Ann Curry

Ann Curry

One million war veterans are expected to return home over the next five years, looking for jobs that could give them a chance to fuel our economy.  Among them are potential future leaders, CEOs and senators, perhaps even a president one day.

Ann Curry

The future story of American grit may now depend on just how purposefully our nation faces welcoming our warriors home, and by that I mean each one of us.

For more on Hiring our Heroes, an initiative from NBC News and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that aims to get veterans back into the workforce, click here. Learn more about job fairs for veterans here

People.com

Discuss this post

Please read this inspiring testimonial form Dennis Greene Colonel, US Air Force - Retired

Scott,

I'm writing to give a testimony that has potentially changed my life, for the better, of course! After reading your book and viewing your promotional videos, I got a job offer yesterday and not just any job. I was offered full partnership into a small and highly successful commercial real estate company here in the Tampa area.

This happened as several things all came together at once. First, I moved to the Tampa area last October having retired from the military last summer in Virginia. I joined the local Chamber of Commerce simply to meet people last December with no idea of what I wanted to do for my next career. Your book convinced me that Commercial Real Estate is the way to go, so two days ago during a Chamber meeting I approached a local Commercial Real Estate Broker to meet for information on the industry. He offered to meet me for breakfast yesterday and offered me the position yesterday while eating eggs and bacon.

As it turns out, he was looking for someone to help with an "overflow of business", yes, even in this "down" Florida economy, on a 50-50 split and will go 80-20 with me on new business I originate. He also wanted to penetrate military investors so that made me a good fit as well. Most of all, I was enthusiastic and really wanted the opportunity and I knew just enough about the industry to be dangerous...thanks to you!!!

I'm enrolled to get my real estate license by the end of this month but we're getting started Monday morning which is fine with me, as there are many things I can do and learn prior to getting licensed. I just signed up for your course also. " I'm sure I'll get good training with my new partners but it will still be nice to have access to your information as I'd like to bring more value to the table than they ever expected.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story with you and please share it with anyone you want. I'm excited about the prospects here in the Tampa area and will keep you posted on how things progress if you're interested.

Take care and thank you for allowing me to recieve the 50% discount into your 10 week course.

Regards,

Dennis Greene-Colonel, US Air Force - Retired

My free book and four free training videos as my gift to the veteran community !

Thanks

Scott

SCOTT W JOHNSTONE

Founder/CEO
Commercial Real Estate Brokers Academy
4695 MacArthur Court

Newport Beach, CA 92660

O: 949.798.5659
C: 949. 300.1057
F: 949.798.5501

Scott@CREBrokersAcademy.com

Reply#1 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 PM EDT

Thank you Ann for recognizing our service members. I am praying for our government and the citizens of the U.S. to treat our returning veterans fairly.

Reply#2 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 PM EDT

Newport Beach, CA 92660

O: 949.798.5659
      C: 949. 300.1057
      F: 949.798.5501

Scott@CREBrokersAcademy.com

Reply#3 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 PM EDT

This is amazing work by Anne Curry, one of my most admired people. I am so pleased to be able to see these photos and read Anne's words interpreting the courage, sacrifice and grit of our troops. Thank you so much.

Reply#4 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 PM EDT

Well played, Ms. Curry. Thanks for recognizing the faces of those that keep us great. God bless our country and those that protect us.

Reply#5 - Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 PM EDT

We want to help military veterans entering civilian life to find work. We are a group of volunteers called PinkSlipMixers.com that help people find jobs. We are ripping pink slips.

• 1 vote
            Reply#6 - Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 AM EDT
            s-5583817Deleted

For more on Hiring our Heroes, an initiative from NBC News and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that aims to get veterans back into the workforce, click here. The 'click here' doesn't click , tried it in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers. Thanks for the pictures, we must never forget our veterans.

Reply#8 - Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 AM EDT

Ann, you rock.

Reply#9 - Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 AM EDT
                You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.