A crowd of veterans and military spouses attend a career fair on the NYC USS Intrepid.
Updated April 6: The numbers are in: Hiring our Heroes helped tens of thousands of veterans in their search for employment.
Nearly 5,000 veterans and military spouses attended the New York, Chicago and Texas job fairs, which were held in conjunction with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
More than 19,000 people registered for the Military.com and Monster.com virtual career fair. Visitors came from all 50 states and dozens of overseas locations.
Organizations came with job opportunities in hand, including rock band KISS, who received more than 500 applicants for their roadie job. NBC News' parent company Comcast pledged to hire 1,000 veterans over the next three years, and Capital One announced that they will join the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's program in a bid to engage the business community in hiring 500,000 vets and military spouses over the next three years.
This is just the start: There will be more than 400 other job fairs throughout the next year. Find a list of upcoming events here.
Here are some resource links for veterans:
- Military.com's jobs board, where you can also find a skills translator and a network of veterans
- Race to Hire, an organization that will host 20 career fairs over the next year
- Milicruit, a group that aims to find jobs for 10,000 vets and military spouses
- Navy Times career site, which also offers information about transitions, college and the G.I. Bill
- Wounded Warrior Project, an organization aimed at honoring and empowering injured service members
- Department of Labor Vet Employment Assistant, a government resource that offers recovery and employment assistance
- FedsHireVets, a government website to help vets find jobs in the federal government
- National Resource Directory, a partnership with the Departments of Defense, Labor and Veterans Affairs
Hiring our Heroes is an initiative from NBC News and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that aims to get veterans back into the workforce. Find a list of upcoming job fairs here.
More on Hiring our Heroes:
Ann Curry's photographs reveal courage, grit of America's soldiers
To land jobs vets should leave ‘yes sir!’ at door
Jill Biden: 'If you want to get the job done, hire a veteran'
Portraits of veterans looking for work